Skip to main content

Going into Hospital

Well tomorrow (Thursday 14 June) I will be admitted to hospital for surgery on Friday.  

I call this maintenance surgery because for the past 5 years i have been going in for botox injections in the bladder.   I usually have it every 6 months but it's been decided that it would be best to have it every 4 months.

The reason i have botox is to stop bladder from leaking in-between the catheters i do and help with the bladder spasms.  

Every 6 months worked very well but for the past year i was getting to the 4 month stage and the leaks had started to return earlier than normal.

It's also a huge thing for me to be admitted.  People keep telling me, oh you be so used to it now it won't bother you going in.   That is so for from the truth.

This procedure is usually done as a day patient and can be done under a local anaesthetic.   For me that is not an option.

Because of my anxiety that would be just too much for me to cope with so when i first started having this procedure it was agreed it would be in my best interests to be an inpatient for a few days.

However being an inpatient comes with other issues, all my other health issues.   There is my diabetes to manage which can be complicated,  all of my medication i take which there is lots and also the issue with my stoma care.

Because of bad experiences in the past whilst in hospital (which i will cover in my blog at some stage) i find communicating with nurses extremely difficult and worried that i will be judged because of the help i need.

I know that because of things that happened in the past should not even be an issue today.  After all they are nurses, and their job is to care and help their patients.

Luckily I have been going on the same ward every time i have this done,  and have to go know the staff over the years and they know my requirements.   They also make sure where possible I have my own cubicle.   As i don't feel as uncomfortable asking the nurses for the help i need.

I will do being a daily blog during my stay.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My stoma care....

Everyone thinks because I have a stoma they presume i can look after it myself.   For me this is not the case,,  over the years i have been called lazy or not accepting what i have and ignoring what i have. If i could change my bag i would, there's nothing worse than asking my mum that i need my bag changing.    The same goes whenever i am in hospital.   Its one of the hardest to things to ask, as i feel so embarrassed and ashamed. You may ask why i can't change it myself,,,  well when i was a young child i had surgery on my spine which they fused and this has restricted my neck movement from looking down at the area. When i reached my mid teens, i asked if i could try and learn how to manage it,  at this point I still had a colostomy so the bag was being changed twice a day. Using 2 mirrors i tried my hardest and i was getting frustrated each time and after weeks of trying I gave up. Once i reached my 20s i finally had my first stoma nurse, who i had known as a stu

My Background

On 30 January 1972 I arrived into the world as a full term baby, but no-one could have expected what happened next. I weighed in at only 1 lb and on full examination the doctors noticed I was born with no opening of the back passage. I had a imperforate anus. Over 30 years later I had access to my hospital notes from the day I was born and the doctor wrote in them said “I have been presented with this freak looking baby.”  As you can imagine reading this I found it very upsetting, thankfully those words would not be said these days. I was rushed off to another hospital without my mum even getting the chance to see me.  My parents were told the chances of me surviving the night was extremely low as I needed urgent surgery to form a colostomy. So at just over an hour old I had the colostomy and was in ICU for many months. As the months passed I slowly gained weight and eventually was allowed home. Back in those days there was no stoma bags for babies and I was told I had to have banda

Daily Review - 1 June

So today i return to hospital for my pre op assessment for my 4 monthly botox surgery. This never gets easier. So why the botox you ask.   Well since the mid 1990s i started to develop UTI's (Urine infections). Sometimes I was struggling to empty my bladder fully and what urine was left in the bottom of the bladder would become infected.   This went on for many years but gradually started to get worse. Then in 2011 I had to start to ISC (intermittent self catheterisation) and this was to drain the excess urine i couldn't pass.   Over the next couple of years the bladder muscle's started to weaken and i was having bladder leaks. Botox treatment was offered in 2014 and i have been on it ever since. The botox expands the muscles so that urine doesn't leak out.  So the only way i can now pass urine is to self catheterise every 4 hours. This procedure never gets any easier because I have to have a 3 day stay in hospital because of all my other medical issues i